May 18, 2015: "poof"

May 18, 2015: "poof"

That's the sound of my mission fading away into the past.

The past week was great. We had our 3-day training in the McAllen area, and even though I didn't get to visit any of the areas I had been in before, I really enjoyed working with some amazing, super faithful missionaries.

On Saturday we performed our missionary musical fireside. It went really well, especially considering how much of it was thrown together at the last minute due to people falling through. I have no videos, since I just found my camera charger while packing this morning. :( But that's what Facebook is for. :)

On Sunday we the missionaries were in charge of "Missionary Sunday," but the rest of the district had to run it without me since I was suddenly whisked away to McAllen to have my last interview with President Maluenda (it was scheduled for today but got moved). So I missed church my last Sunday on the mission, which was pretty weird. I got back right after everything ended, so I got to see at least some people. Plus, we stopped in Las Milpas on the way back and got fed surprise spaghetti by some members which was great.

As for the actual interview: the future looks bright.

The past two years have been amazing. Absolutely fantastic. I wish I would have learned to appreciate it more before it went flying past. It's kinda a microcosm of life, you know? Life is full of so many opportunities and experiences. We just have to make them happen. It's full of ups and downs, too. But we can always decide whether to be full of faith and hope or start dragging our feet. I'm so glad is here to help us to do the former, no matter what trials we go through. I know He lives, and that Jesus Christ is our Savior, and that He loves us so much that He suffered all the pain and guilt and sorrow the world would ever experience so that we wouldn't have to.

I would keep testifying, but I think Peter said it best when he wrote, "Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, and speak face to face, that our joy may be full."


TTYL! I LOVE YOU ALL SOOOOOOOOO MUUUUUUUUCH!!!!!

~Elder Dylan Young

Elder L. Tom Perry gave a talk in Oct. 2001 general conference to returned missionaries.
  •  “One of the strongest recollections I have of being a missionary is how close I drew to the Lord through the practice of regular prayer. The frequency of our appeals to our Father in Heaven gave us strength and courage to press forward in the work to which we had been called. Answers would come, sometimes in astonishingly direct and positive ways. The guidance of the Holy Spirit seemed to be magnified the more times we appealed to the Lord for direction on a given day.” So, his first point is that we need to keep that missionary spirit through more frequent, consistent and mighty prayer.
  • "The next fond memory I have as a missionary is that of daily engaging in scripture study. The discipline of following a scripture-study plan of learning the gospel was a wonderful, rewarding experience. The knowledge of the teachings of the scriptures would unfold in a glorious way through individual study. We would also take an hour or more each day to study as companions together. Having two sets of eyes examine the doctrine of the kingdom seemed to multiply our understanding. When we leave the mission field, we no longer have companions to help us discipline our study habits, but that does not mean that the practice should be discontinued. As we return home, how great it would be to hold daily family scripture study. If we leave home, couldn’t we invite roommates and friends to study with us?”  Study as a family too!
  • "Opportunities to teach the gospel and baptize are not exclusive to those who wear the badge of a full-time missionary. I want to promise you there are great blessings in store for you if you continue to press forward with the zeal you once possessed as a full-time missionary.” Missionary work will always be a part of our lives as we serve as visiting and home teachers and as we simply try to be good neighbors. We will still have people miss appointments too but we can continue to try.