May 19, 2014: Press Forward Saints

May 19, 2014

We here be the roughest, toughest hombres this side of the Rio Grande, to paraphrase Yosemite Sam.

On Tuesday morning we drove all the way to the mission office in McAllen for a random, 4-zone meeting with President Maluenda. He basically brought us all together just to pump us up. He must have gotten a whole bunch of depressed emails the day before or something. But it was awesome, our ánimo and ganas were super high the whole week.

President also talked about how we shouldn't be tired. We need to exercise harder and get to bed on time so we can always be giving it our all. Elder Pope asked if naps were still okay, and he said no. Everyone was pretty mad at Elder Pope after that, including himself. But it's probably for the best. Maybe I'll finally work off my tortilla tummy.

After the meeting we went to Peter Piper pizza buffet. We aren't supposed to watch TV, but I couldn't help but notice this kid's show where some bug guy's house was running around with horse legs. Then it started to fly like a reindeer. And I thought Teletubbies was a weird show.

One of our zone leaders, Elder Lee, worked with us on Wednesday. That was cool. We talked to all kinds of crazy people and Santísima Muerte worshipers. Just another day in Texas.

We got out of a lesson the other day only to find that somebody had backed into the driver door. There's like a 3 inch dent in it. No biggie.

I spent Saturday night in the Zone Leader's apartment since I was going to the English ward the next day. I haven't been to church in English in a while: it was weird. I also haven't seen so many white people gathered together in one place (outside of missionary things, but we don't count. We're all like native Mexicans, basically.)

SPIRITUAL THOUGHT: I was having trouble one morning staying cheerful and optimistic despite President Maluenda's stirring words, when I accidentally read some of my favorite scriptures while flipping through a "How to Adjust to Missionary Life" packet:

29 Verily, verily, I say unto you, if they reject my words, and this part of my gospel and ministry, blessed are ye, for they can do no more unto you than unto me.
 30 And even if they do unto you even as they have done unto me, blessed are ye, for you shall dwell with me in glory.
 31 But if they reject not my words, which shall be established by the testimony which shall be given, blessed are they, and then shall ye have joy in the fruit of your labors.
 32 Verily, verily, I say unto you, as I said unto my disciples, where two or three are gathered together in my name, as touching one thing, behold, there will I be in the midst of them—even so am I in the midst of you.
 33 Fear not to do good, my sons, for whatsoever ye sow, that shall ye also reap; therefore, if ye sow good ye shall also reap good for your reward.
 34 Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail.
 35 Behold, I do not condemn you; go your ways and sin no more; perform with soberness the work which I have commanded you.
 36 Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not.
 37 Behold the wounds which pierced my side, and also the prints of the nails in my hands and feet; be faithful, keep my commandments, and ye shall inherit the kingdom of heaven. Amen. (D&C 6)

I don't even know what I could add to that.


So here's some silly pictures!