Subtle, Tender Mercies of the Lord


Hola familia!
I loooooooooooooooove you all!!! Man, general conference was super awesome. The spirit was so strong and I learned so much. I'm definitely going to be printing out a bunch of the talks and studying them like crazy the next, I don't know, 6 months. It was all so good and mind blowing I don't even know what to share. Next week I'll have picked some of it apart and be able to share more. One thing though that really hit me during Elder Bednar's talk (I'm not sure if he actually said it or not) is that we should pray to be able to recognize the subtle, tender mercies of the Lord, pray to be more grateful in life. As we do this, the worries and stresses of life will fall into the background as we have the Spirit reminding us of how good life is.

It's awesome that you've managed to have such a great missionary opportunity! For sure, after missionaries bring people to the Church, it's the responsibility of the members to make sure they're cared for and "nourished by the good word of God." That's why it's so important that we magnify our callings as home and visiting teachers, so we can bless people's lives and help them feel the Spirit, the love and priesthood power of God in their lives.

It's great Dad had fun in Maine. I was wondering what he'd be doing with all his time now. And I'm sure Cassidy had fun at Calvacade. I can't believe I'm gonna have new cousins when I get home! Spencer will definitely take good care of them. I learned this weekend that Elder Stirling in our district is actually like 2nd cousins with Lindsey Stirling, the violinist that dances around on YouTube. Also, my old roommate Andrew is in a ward at BYU with Hannah Ferris. It's a small world for sure!

Transfers are this week, but Elder Bellavance and I are both staying for at least one more. He's convinced that after this he's going to be leaving and I'll be district leader as well as training. Yikes! We'll see what happens.

I'm super jealous of Rees eating French Toast Crunch in Canada, though why he'd ruin it with sausage I have no idea. It's okay, because I've discovered the joy of Good Morenings Waffle Crunch.
So we're trying to teach a family where the mom works all the time, but never knows her schedule, and she doesn't have a phone. So, using a gift card some members gave to the missionaries, I got some walkie talkies that hopefully I'll be able to put into good use throughout the mission since so many seem to not have phones.

Here's a story. It's kinda gross, but worth sharing. The other day was the last district meeting of the transfer, so we all went out to Texas Roadhouse for lunch at like 3:00. Later that night we went to a member's to eat, and I was already stuffed. We had a whole bunch of fish (which I kind of actually liked) plus beans and rice and these super thick tortilla things. We were running late and I was devouring the fruit salad dessert before the closing prayer when suddenly... I threw up in my mouth. I guess my stomach had had enough. Nobody noticed but my companion, who just looked over and saw my cheeks full. I had no idea what to do, though. I panicked a little bit. During the closing prayer, I decided I couldn't go spit it out... so I started swallowing it back down. Elder Bellavance was watching me the whole prayer, and he couldn't believe what he was seeing. I got it all down right when the prayer ended. We left right away since neither of us could hold in our laughter: laughter from relief, disbelief, and shock. The next day we got fed three dinners, but it didn't even phase me; I could handle anything after that. Well, at least until Thanksgiving...

I think that's it. I love you all a ton! Keep on praying and relying on the Lord!
Elder Young