Another Crazy Week in Texas

October 21, 2013

Querida Familia,

It's been another crazy week here in Texas! I can't believe marching season is almost done. There's a pretty big football stadium in our area for the Weslaco and Weslaco East high schools. Not near as awesome as Joe Albi, but you can't really have basements here plus there aren't any hills, so it couldn't be built into the ground like that. Also, the mascots are the panthers and wildcats, so that's kind of weird.

It is cooling down a little bit, so I don't mind as much when we ask people for a glass of water and they give us a Coke instead. We still make sure to drink plenty of water though. It's weird because tons and tons of birds have starting to come south for the winter, which means they're all coming here. The telephone poles are just covered in birds, all super loud and making weird Mexican-jungley noises. The butterflies are back too, so many you sometimes can't avoid smashing into some on the bikes.

Yeah, I got the Halloween package. The card was super funny, too. And the candy was only a little bit melted. I think our wards are gonna have a trunk-or-treat this week, which is cool. And it turns out the Zone leaders will be doing an exchange with us on Halloween, so I have no idea what that will be like. Whenever people ask if we get to dress up, we just say that a missionary is already the scariest thing you could see out on the street. I wonder how many people will know who Rosie Cotton is. Does the new Hobbit movie look super mega awesome? Also I saw a Sonic the Hedgehog costume at Walmart and realized what I had been missing my whole life. Too bad they didn't have one in my size.

I definitely wasn't expecting to see a .gif in the email. I made sure to send it to all my other missionary friends.

There was just a lot of food this week. I didn't throw up in my mouth again, even though I almost did when a member took all the missionaries in the ward to Golden Coral. I just didn't want to stop eating, you know? Also, we made a huge breakfast for district bonding. Here's a picture of one of the huge piles of waffles. We threw just about everything in the batter: raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, even an entire banana. It was fun.



So yesterday was super crazy. The other missionaries were baptizing 5 people, 4 brothers and sisters plus their cousin, all kids of less active members. One of their moms was too sick to make it to Church, but she and the rest of her family wanted to make it to the baptism. We had a member drive over to pick them up, but she couldn't find them at home. They tried a bunch of their other relatives and friends and finally found them. Then, while they were speeding back down to the church, we got a call saying "Hay policia, oren por nosotros." They got pulled over and the policeman was threatening to deport them! Thankfully he calmed down, gave them a ticket and let them go. Everyone got baptized and it was awesome!

I'm out of time, but I love you all so much!

Elder Young